Friday, May 9, 2008

I will see you Monday

Blue Bell Hill Meadow.Blue Bell Hill Meadow, a favorite of orioles.

Yesterday morning I walked down to the end of my street to wait for the bus to take me to work and heard for the first time this season the unmistakable song of the Baltimore oriole. Unmistakable because it is at the same time both mournful and hopeful and nearly as beautiful as the bird itself.

They love the tall trees over in Blue Bell Hill Meadow, and that's where his music was coming from. If this year is like other years, I'll see them once or twice at best (they are elusive, liking the tops of very tall trees), but I'll hear the song throughout most of the summer.

I have decided to start taking weekends off on Wissahickon Diary. Too much going on these days. So I will see you on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I don't think I've heard or seen an oriole before. From time to time I'll see a bluejay around but never an oriole. Maybe we don't have them up here. The photo of the meadow is so lovely.

Just Roaming The Cities said...

I had the pleasure of seeing a Baltimore Oriel last weekend, but since there were so many birds out there I never heard it's singing! I will check it out on the great site I found with bird calls to listen to:
http://www.enature.com/birding/audio.asp

I hope you have a great weekend!