Donna, my girlfriend, came up with the concept twenty years ago, or so, and it goes like this:
- You get a bunch of your friends together (especially, but not necessarily, if they have kids). For the last five years, we've gathered in a cabin in an undisclosed location in northern Bucks County.
- As a gang, you descend on a local and sincere pumpkin patch to search for the most jack-o-lantern-worthy pumpkins.
- As a gang, you return to the undisclosed location and create your masterpieces on the front porch, which requires the use of various and sundry implements of destruction, and the accumulation of mounds of pumpkin guts. When they are finished, you line them up on the porch railing.
- Then you bring your friends inside and give them liberal amounts of food and libation.
- After dark, they all get lit. (The pumpkins, that is.)