Sunday, October 26, 2008

Osage orange

Osage orange. We used to come down Germantown Avenue from the PA Turnpike to get into the city twenty-eight years ago when I was a Freshman at Temple University. Around where we crossed the line from Montgomery County into the city limits, we would see Osage oranges strewn along the sides of the road. A connection between the life I was leaving, and the new life I was going to.

Osage oranges grew along the banks of the Davidsburg Run where it ran through the lower meadow of our farm when I was growing up. As kids, my cousin Steve and I would drop them into the water and race them down the current, a competition to see whose would be the first to bob under the fence into the neighbor's field.

Today Donna and I rode our bikes up Andorra Road, near where I used to see the Osage oranges years ago, and found this specimen.

3 comments:

Just Roaming The Cities said...

can you eat them?

Dan Allen said...

Hi jrc,

No, not edible. Cool to look at, though.

Halcyon said...

I was just going to ask the same question. They are rather strange looking, but don't kids always like to play with the oddest things?