Sunday, March 23, 2008

Wissahickon Transfer Center

You come out of the Wissahickon suddenly, and the energy changes. Doesn’t matter if you are on foot, bike, or car. Hurry. Choose. Horns are honking. Is it Manayunk or Center City? Kelly Drive or City Line Avenue?

This is not a place for the indecisive. It is where old paths end and new one’s must be chosen. Bus passengers are disgorged on one side of Ridge Avenue and must scurry dangerously through traffic to the other side to pick up the next connection.

Exposed. Raw. Bright. The volume is suddenly turned to eleven. The monstrous rush of water over the dam contends with the equally monstrous rush of traffic and the stink of diesel.

A hundred yard from here, quietly and unnoticed, the Wissahickon dissolves itself into the Schuylkill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about that. Who would have guessed two guys could think alike? LOL. Nice post.

I added the Yahoo map link. Thought people might light to follow I-70 to Denver. LOL.

Hope you and your family have a nice Easter holiday.

Carletta said...

Hi,
I popped over here after seeing your comment on Mr. Lincoln's site.
The same thing happened to me last night when I saw a friend's post after posting :)
I'm glad I stopped by - nice blog -I'll be checking back with you.
I Love the railroad bridge pic below!

Dan said...

Great post. You make changing lanes sound like a real urban adventure.