Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thomas Mill Bridge

Historic Thomas Mill Bridge is the last remaining covered bridge within the city limits of Philadelphia. You will find it along Forbidden Drive, near mile post 1, about a half mile below the parking lots at Bell's Mill.

I'm having difficulty finding a precise history of the bridge, but it most likely dates to the middle of the 1800's. The structure was restored in 1938 by the WPA, and in 1999 by the City of Philadelphia.

These photos were taken late Friday Morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this photograph and was surprised to learn this is still being used and appears in good shape.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I love these covered bridges, and they simply must be painted red! haha


*I found you on Lori's blog. I also have a photographic journal aside from my main blog WW.